Monday 25 October 2010

Tibetan Tea Party

Click to view larger image What a find!
I was in a second hand bookshop in Clapham and picked this up: 'The High Road to China'.

Kate Teltscher writes about the first British expedition to Tibet in 1774, based on letters and documents from that period. British traders were hoping that by establishing stong link with the Panchen Lama in Tibet, they would be able to open relations with China. Fascinating to read about the first impressions of a new and foreign country and to see how a remarkable friendship between men from two very different cultures was made as a result of a daring trip across some of the harshest terrain in the world.

I like the review from the NY Times - 'Tibetan Tea Party'.

The closest I have been to Tibet is the city of Xining in North West China. It's the capital of Qinghai Xining means 'Peace in the West' and has an average altitude of 2,200 m. With a large Tibetan Community, it also has a Tibetan Market which I went to a few times. 

Monk next to 'taxi'



Carpet Shop in Tibetan Market
I suppose 250 years does bring a few changes..... but maybe some of the things I saw this year in Xining are similar to the things the people on the expedition came across on the first journey in the 1770's. The thick wool clothes, yak wool objects, yak butter and milk.

Now I want to find out more about Tibet. I really don't know much about the country. Except that it is has the Dali Lama, is really high altitude, freezing and difficult to access and has troubled relations with its neighbours.
Next year I might be able to visit friends who live in Tibet.

That will be a real adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.