Friday 19 November 2010

Dulwich Picture Gallery and David Gentleman

Flux Studios was at Dulwich Picture Gallery last night along with other makers, while David Gentleman signed copies of his book. I had a chat with him. I remembered selling his book 'Britain' in the Art Department of Hatchards, Piccadilly http://www.hatchards.co.uk/  a long time ago. Just turned 80, he is a prolific painter and is already planning his next project  - a visual diary of London, which he will carry out over course of a year. Looking forward to seeing that when it is published.

We had fun chatting to lots of people last night and eating phenomenal food from Luca's bakery http://www.lucasbakery.com/ , Lordship Lane. I had the best sausage roll I've ever tasted. I brought huge cheese straws and giant prezels home with me. I chatted to the ceramicist next to us and she is still making, although she must be around David Gentleman's age. Producing beautiful pottery and selling, she has been making a living from her ceramics for many years. She told me that the key to earning a living from your art is to be determined and keep going even though there are setbacks. She has never used a computer and of course is not online. She said she just doesn't have time for it!

Wonderful to meet two inspiring older creative people, who are still working, all in one evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.