Monday 3 January 2011

Waves, clouds, butterflies


The Emperor's summer court robe

....and plenty of cranes and dragons too.

After the travel, snow, celebrations and parties of Christmas and New Year, I've been enjoying time on my own to sketch, photograph and explore in the V&A  - I like it so much I've been twice already this new year.


The V&A is exhibiting an exquisite collection of Royal robes from the Forbidden City - costumes made from stunning fabric with hand embroidered designs: an incredible display of talent, reflecting the enormous wealth of the Qing dynasty. My favourite was a deep midnight blue overcoat for the Empress with the most stunningly designed cranes in flight, among the clouds. Worth a third visit and I'm sure I'll notice new things I didn't see on the first two trips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.