Saturday 30 April 2011

Dali Silversmiths

I travelled to Old Town Dali for a few days - 4 hours' bus ride from Kunming. I have seen lots of silversmiths working at the front of their shops. They have a small dish with coals and they hammer on bars set on tree trunks. They make delicately patterned spoons, bowls, jewellery and tea sets.
Silversmithing at the shop front, on alow stool, producing exquisite hand crafted objects
 I spoke to this silversmith's wife - in a mixture of English and Mandarin (was told my mandarin is quite good - hehe...!) and discovered that her father is also a silversmith. He made the ornate teapot and cups photographed below.  I bought a few large pieces of coral here and enjoyed talking about silversmithing.

Showing me a sword and highly ornate scabbard


Teaset made by expert silversmith




Another silversmith working at his shop front in Dali


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.