Saturday 6 July 2013

Masterpiece 2. Bill Viola

Lifespans
I was so pleased to see the new Bill Viola video 'Lifespans' premièred at Masterpiece through his London Gallery Blain Southern. I chatted to a helpful person from the gallery about Viola, who is one of the most influential artists of our time and one of my all-time favourites. I was delighted to hear about a new installation by Viola which will be coming to St Paul's sometime soon. The first of its kind, it will be a permanent installation in the cathedral. I'm looking forward to seeing that.



I've loved his work ever since I was mesmerised by it at the Tate Modern years ago - slow-motion videos in reverse, of people diving into water. Mesmerising and meditative, the room was packed full of silent crowds, immersed in the darkened room with four large screen videos. Very special to experience art like for the first time: ground-breaking art that which slows you down to reflect on life.

This interview with Viola, in which he explains the underlying reason for his fascination with water, is worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.