Thursday 21 February 2013

Ming Crown at the British Museum




I had a morning (booked four months ago as yesterday was the first Wednesday I had free!) to study this late Ming Dynasty crown at the British Museum. Such a luxury to spend a morning in a quiet library, drawing an antique. It had to be set on crumpled tissue paper to raise the level so that the down-turned beaks of the birds in the front were not touching the table. 

I am fascinated by  the incredible detail of the whole crown - phoenixes, flaming pearls, flower heads, dragons - but it was the leaves that caught my attention, plus a few tiny clouds which I discovered hidden amongst all the gilt silver openwork:)

Flowing movement in the leaves














I first saw Chinese crowns in Dali, Yunnan, in 2008  but at last I have seen an original close-up. It is an amazing decorative object. I've made lots of drawings and will probably need to book a return visit the next time I have a Wednesday free - hopefully less than four months away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.