Sunday 12 May 2013

Cloud Leopard

I finally saw the stunning Cloud Leopard by Nahoko Kojima in Craft Central's new gallery this week.


I loved seeing the whole piece, suspended from the ceiling, having only seen glimpses of it in pictures on the net. It is so intricately cut out, delicate and is simply a breath-taking work of art. 

It reminds me of the work of the paper cut-out artists I met in Kunming, though I haven't seen any on this scale before, and so beautifully presented.

Nahoko Kojima's new work, The Polar Bear, will be unveiled at the Jerwood Makers Open 2013. It is entitled, Byaku, a Japanese word meaning White in English. It is hand cut using only one white sheet of Japanese Washi Paper. 

If you are interested in knowing more about this traditional Japanese method of paper making, I can recommend Nancy Broadbent Casserly's book on Washi. She spoke about its history at the Daiwa Institute a couple of months ago and it was an interesting introduction to Washi. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.