Thursday 2 September 2010

Old Stuff













We like old things in the West. My friend took me to a second hand market in Xining. Huge place. Furniture with faded colours and patterns. Pieces with a history. And some cool retro fun things like a luminous old 50's telephone from Shanghai. But we had to look hard for the good stuff. I suppose it gets snapped up quickly.

I noticed alot of the furniture was painted over in bright orange. These probably are new rather than antique.....I hope.














I liked this wall surface. Got a few funny looks as I photographed it though. I just like the texture and colour. It looks like a landscape or a map.




Then we went to an old part of town that is being demolished and will be built over by the time I return so I had to get some pictures.....













I like the old patterns on the doors and loved this house. Someone still lives there but I suppose not for much longer. They have their buckets of coal lined up outside.















An old street. No-one living there now. It was quiet and eerie. Just waiting to be knocked down.











But the last place we went to has to be the coolest cafe I've been to in China.
The Green House Cafe.
Old reclaimed furniture throughout, doors suspended from the ceiling, not an orange painted chair in sight. Great coffee, great atmosphere. Popular with Locals and Foreigners.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.