Thursday 2 September 2010

Yak Market













My favourite place in Xining was the Yak Market. Well that was my name for it. Lots of Tibetan goods, people in exotic looking but definitely very warm clothes, monks wandering around and even recorded chanting blasting out from a shop, all added to the atmosphere.


I bought some lovely gemstones there - set in silver (we think). Aren't they pretty? Also bought quite a bit of turquoise. Beautiful.





In the Turquoise Shop while my friend was bartering away for me I got distracted by a strange bit of taxidermy: a deer with paper ears. Poor deer! adding insult to injury. Apparently they are killed for their horns which are ground down to make a highly precious medicine. Would love to know what it's used for.














My friend took me to her favourite restaurant at the Yak Market for some meat and noodles. It was a massive bowl of hearty country portions. SO much meat in one bowl. Two of us couldn't finish it. But it was delicious. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Though I have to admit it doesn't look so great in this photo....















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.